We’re going to Israel! Join TalkMatters & Oasis of Peace 19-24th November to meet the people who are building a fairer society
The shared society that TalkMatters promotes has been threatened by the Israeli government’s passing the first part of a bill to change the powers of the judiciary. It is indeed deeply unsettling but the grassroots co-operative initiatives that TalkMatters support continue to bring Jews and Arabs together through a shared interest in music, sport, hi-tech, ecology, etc. Over the last three years TalkMatters have shown the positive things are happening on the ground through webinars, video clips and our live event last month.
Please note the revised dates: we will be going for six days, from 19th to 24th November
Now together with Oasis of Peace UK we invite you to see for yourself what we have been talking about. Join us in visiting the many positive projects that you certainly don’t see in the UK media. We are planning the 2023 All Faiths and No-Faith group visit to Wahat al Salam~Neve Shalom (Oasis of Peace) – the village half-way between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv – where Jews and Arabs live together in a shared, equitable society.
I together with the Rev’d Keith McNicol and Tal Arrowsmith will lead the trip. Keith and I have led this visit many times before. I can highly recommend it. The group have always enjoyed each other’s company and learnt from each other and from the people we have met.
We will stay at the village guest-house and speak to key members of the community and hear their stories. We will meet the teachers and children at work in the bilingual/binational Primary School, visit the School for Peace and the Pluralistic Spiritual Centre. We will also tour outside the village to learn about the country and take a wider look at other co-operative grassroots initiatives that bring people together.
Arrangements and costs involved
- Attendees will stay at the Neve-Shalom/Wahat al-Salam guesthouse. Oasis of Peace UK will secure your reservation, but you will be responsible for settling your bill on departure. Double rooms are priced at US$150 per night (including breakfast) and single rooms US$135. The trip will involve some lunches and dinners at the guesthouse, priced at US$25 per meal.
- Attendees are responsible for booking their own flights to Israel’s Ben Gurion airport and should aim to arrive by the afternoon of Sunday 19th November. Several airlines operate flights from the UK from Heathrow, Gatwick, and Luton.
Attendees are responsible for their own onward transportation to Neve Shalom-Wahat al-Salam (a journey of 40 minutes by taxi) but the Oasis of Peace UK office will be delighted to assist and co-ordinate taxi sharing.
- In addition to the hotel and flight costs, the trip involves a cost of £550 to cover off-site meals and the costs of off-site activities. This programme fee should be paid in two installments: a deposit of £250 to be paid via Oasis of Peace’s website on registration, with the balance of £300 to be paid either by BACS or cheque no later than 1st October 2023.
- Attendees are reminded that while the vast majority of travelers enjoy entirely safe and trouble-free visits to the country, the security situation is subject to periodic escalation. Oasis of Peace UK will monitor this aspect and will follow all UK Foreign Office guidelines in the planning of the trip. The village has itself been subject to two arson attacks since September 2020, since which time the village has instituted enhanced security protocols.
- Availability for this trip is limited and attendance will be allocated on a strictly first-come-first-served basis. A place is secured by completing your registration online.
- For further information, please contact Oasis of Peace UK Executive Director, Tal Arrowsmith on 020 8952 4717 firstname.lastname@example.org or Jenny Nemko, Founder TalkMatters – Jews and Arabs Together on 020 8866 1647 email@example.com